Crumble’s guide to Halloween safety

Crumble’s guide to Halloween safety for pets

As you can see, Nurse Kerrie’s dog Crumble loves to get in the Halloween spirit, however there are risks that you should be aware of, this advice should help you keep your pet happy and safe during Halloween

Crumble the dog dressed as a pumpkin

Nurse Kerrie’s dog Crumble just loves Halloween

    Pumpkins

If you have a pumpkin with a lit candle or tea light then make sure it placed out of sniffing/licking reach and where it can’t be knocked by a wagging tail or a jumping cat. A hot candle or wax could burn your pet, and there is also the risk that it could start a fire.

    Halloween treats

If you’ve stocked up on sweets & chocolates for a Halloween party or to give to trick or-treaters, then please be aware that they may not be good for your pet to eat.

    Chocolate

We advise you not to give your pet any chocolate to eat as it contains a chemical called theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs, cats, rodents and rabbits. The higher the cocoa content, the more theobromine it contains, typically this will be more expensive and darker chocolates. White chocolate is low in theobromine, but it is still a rich high sugar, high fat food that is not good for your pet and could make them ill.

    Sweets

If you are expecting trick-or-treaters, don’t leave the big bowl of sweets where your pet can get to it; many dogs have no off switch and will eat as much as they can get hold of. Eating lots of sugar, or fat can lead to various health problems for your pet.

Some sugar-free sweets and chewing gums contain an artificial sweetener called xylitol, which can be very poisonous. Xylitol is more commonly found in food products in America, but is beginning to appear in sugar-free products in the UK as well.

    Gut obstruction hazards

Try not to let your pet eat anything which might cause an obstruction in your pet’s gut, Halloween hazards include sweet wrappers, lollipop sticks, food containers/ boxes, or even small parts from a Halloween costume. This can be very dangerous and may require surgical intervention. Signs of an obstruction may include your pet being off their food, vomiting, lethargy and not pooing or finding it difficult to poo.

    What to do if your pet has eaten chocolate, lots of sweets or items which could cause an obstruction?

Contact us immediately for advice

Brought to you by Streetly Vets in Sutton Coldfield


Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.